As a Landlord make sure you have your say on the proposed reforms to the RTA and the Healthy Homes Guarantee Bill before it’s too late.
The consultation period closes at 5pm on Sunday, 21 October for the RTA Reforms and 6pm on Monday, 22 October for the Healthy Homes standards, so make sure you get your submission in before then. This can be done online and should take around 45 minutes to complete via the below link:
We have been advised that presently the submissions are sitting at about 50/50 between Landlords and Tenants. With such extensive proposed changes it’s important that the Government receives a balanced view from both renters and landlords.
Feedback is being sought on the following proposals:
- Substituting the ability for landlords to terminate tenancies for any reason with specific and justifiable criteria for ending a tenancy
- Setting the amount of notice a landlord needs to give to terminate a tenancy to 90 days under all circumstances
- Limiting rent increases to once a year
- Better equipping tenants and landlords to reach agreement about pets and minor alterations to the home
- Introducing new tools and processes into the compliance and enforcement system.
- Standards around heating, ventilation, draft stopping, moisture ingress, insulation and dates around compliance
The draft reform bill is estimated to be completed for handover to Phil at the end of this year. First draft likely to be second half of 2019. With the new RTA possibly coming out in 2020.
For further information click below:
The Auckland Property Investors Association also has a really good guide on making submissions for both the RTA reform and the Healthy Homes Guarantee Act.